Tuesday 9 June 2009

Charity Chic

For super cheap chic charity shops have long since been a source of pocket friendly (if not slightly musty) delights, and now that I'm a little bit handy with a sewing machine, kitting myself out in dead people's clothes has taken on a whole new appeal!

For instance, I recently bought this pink and black long pleated skirt for £1.50. A peak at the label shows that it’s made by those 50+ favourites Windsmoor, as they are stocked in various department stores including House of Fraser I took solace in the fact that the skirt was of good quality and was once worn by a natty little granny.

I’m not too keen on the skirt in its current form so I wanted to share with you a couple of quick tips for bringing octogenarian wear bang up to date using only elastic. I bloody love elastic.


Using a safety pin as a guide, I threaded the elastic through the bottom hem of the skirt (in the spirit of cost saving, I used an old bikini strap rather than buy some new elastic) then hand stitched it in place at either end, so the hem is now elasticated.


Then I pulled the skirt up so that it wasn't around my waist but so that I was wearing it as a strapless dress instead. Then I took a belt (that I found some time ago in my own Granny's wardrobe and subsequently liberated) and cinched it in at the waist, et voila, a cute little tulip dress.

Not content with just one look from the bargain bin, if I pull up the newly elasticated hem so that it and the waistband are both around my waist I also have a gorgeous skirt fit for the summer. (Obviously the length of the original item determines quite how mini your skirt will be, too short and Granny Windsmoor will be turning in her grave. Sorry Granny Windsmoor).

So there you have it, two looks for £1.50 and a bit of old bikini elastic.

Similar, but not such a frickin' steal:

Robert Rodriguez chiffon pleated dress £306
Mui Mui satin pleated dress £411

No comments:

Post a Comment